Friday, January 8, 2010

Llego a Espana!

Well, I'm here! After a 6.5 hour flight and just about the same amount of time in the airport, I have arrived in Alcala (via Madrid), Spain! I'm currently sitting on my new bed, in my new apartment, with my new host mom and her grandson, Juan (age 7ish). It's 1:30 PM here, so 7:30 at home. And I still haven't slept! Whew. The plane ride wasn't bad - we had personal TVs which definitely helped to pass the time... I watched Love Happens and Fame, along with 2 episodes of the Office and 30 Rock. I was able to close my eyes for about 30 minutes but it's a little difficult to sleep in those seats!

When we arrived, Maria Jose was there to pick us up from the aiport (about an hour late, but hey, it's Europe!) We got dropped off at one of the major plazas...can't remember which one...where the seven of us doing homestay met our families! Eleuteria and I were able to walk to her apartment lugging my 3 suitcases about 6 blocks. She lives right in the center of the city and it's absolutely beautiful! You can see the universidad from the balcony. My host mom doesn't speak any english which has already been tough even after only being here for an hour! I can understand her for the most part, except when she talks real fast...haha. The apartment is layed out so differently from the ones I'm used to but it's relatively big - there's 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms! Which is great, because I get my own bathroom with lots of racks for all my stuff. :)

I've unpacked everything into the wardrobe in my room and I'm getting ready to meet up with the rest of the group for lunch in half an hour. Tomorrow begins 2 full days of orienation in Alcala and Madrid! I should get lots of sleep tonight except, of course, everyone wants to go out on the town so I'll probably do that. I can sleep when I'm dead, right?

Vive Espana! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment