Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Semana Santa y Pascua con mi familia

Holidays here are a little weird because they don't feel like holidays at home because I'm so far away but Easter this year was incredible. Having Mom and Auntie Nan here with me for it was truly a blessing. We to Mass in the Cathedral Magistral in Alcala after the procession of Jesus and Mary floats. We had great seats up front and I was able to understand most of it. After Mass, we went to Cafe Hemispherio for drinks and tapas and I forced Mom and Aunt Nan to try chorizo and tortilla. I showed them around Alcala the rest of the day. Luckily the weather was beautiful so everything looked that much better. We finished the day with drinks at Burrito, a favorite spots of those of us studying here.

Monday morning we went in to Madrid and I showed them Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, and the Cathedral. We took a tour of the Royal Palace, which was incredible because we only saw 22 of the 2800 rooms but they were so amazingly decorated in a beautiful Baroque style. For lunch we went to Mercado San Miguel, a market that's been in that spot since the Middle Ages and has all different kinds of foods to eat. I had them try torrijas, a Semana Santa specialty dessert, and churros y chocolate. We finished the day walking through Retiro Park, one of my favorite spots to relax and enjoy the weather on a nice day.

Tuesday they came to Alcala to have lunch with Eleu. She had ham, cheese, and salmon and cream cheese as appetizers and she even got out wine for the special occasion of having guests. The main course was a seafood paella, which was delicious! Mom and Aunt Nan didn't stop complimenting the food the whole time. For dessert we had strawberries and cream. It was such a great lunch and I'm so glad they got to meet each other! After, I headed back to Madrid with them since we were going to see a Flamenco Show that night. Mom wanted to go to the Prado Museum so we were able to do that before dinner. I gave her the cliffnotes tour of the masterpieces in the Museum and my favorites. We got back to the hotel and dressed for the show. We got some dinner in Plaza Santa Ana before the show, which was incredible! We had a great table right near the stage so we had a great view. All of the dancers and musicians were fantastic and all 3 of us really enjoyed it.

The next morning they left to spend the last few days of their trip in Ireland, where I met up with Mom for dinner one last time in Dublin before they had to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment