Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Barcelona - Gaudi, Mi familia, y un noche de bailando

Well suffice it to say I was exhausted coming into Barcelona after gallivanting around Italy for a week. But I heard Barcelona was a great city so I was excited to visit. Not to mention Mom and Aunt Nan were meeting me there!

We met Maria Jose at the train station in Madrid Thursday morning and I somehow managed to get there on time despite forgetting to change my clock for daylight savings. We took the AVE train, which is the high speed train, which was so nice. We got to our hotel and guess who was right next door to me and Eleanora?? Mom and Aunt Nan! How absurd? Obviously it was amazing to see them! We spent the rest of the day together getting food and walking around the city. That night we planned to go to the Ice Bar so of course, Mom came with. She had a blast there so we went to the club afterwards with a bunch of people and danced the rest of the night away! We all had a really good time and I'm glad she came out with us.

We got up early Friday for a guided bus/walking tour of the city, but mainly the architect Gaudi's buildings. I love his Art Noveau style so I really enjoyed seeing the buildings he designed, especially Guell Park (first picture below) and the Sagrada Familia church (second picture below) which is still under construction and not expected to be done until 2030.
Friday we also went to lunch at Els Quatre Gats, the famous hangout for Picasso and other intellectuals and artists of the period. Saturday we went to the Picasso Museum which was pretty neat. I liked seeing the progression of his paintings. After, Connor, Eleanora, Caitlin and I went to the Olympic Village where the 1992 Summer Olympics were held. Barcelona was an incredible city but I couldn't wait to get home to show Mom and Auntie Nan around Alcala and Madrid!

No comments:

Post a Comment